Owning a long-haired dog is delightful, but maintaining their shiny coats on a regular basis is necessary. If you’re a parent of a long-haired dog, you may be looking for the proper collar for your furry friend. It looks good when your long hair friend flaunts her fur in the wind.
Combing and using shampoo is essential to make your pal’s fur shiner and tidy. But the problem most long-hair dog owners face is finding an appropriate collar for their dog. You cannot use a standard collar for your long-haired dog. Using a traditional collar can be painful or cause itchiness to your dog.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
A collar made of heavy material or too tight can make your dog grumpy and annoyed. To avoid these issues, we, as pet parents, have researched them on the internet and found some exclusive collars for long-haired dogs. Read the article to learn about some of the best collars for long-haired dogs available in the market.
Table of Contents
Buying Guide for The Best Collars for Long-Haired Dogs
If you have a long-haired pal at your home, you must be wondering about the guide that will help you to find the best collars for long-haired dogs. Right? While purchasing a collar, you must follow the below steps:
One of the first important key points to notice is checking the material while purchasing a collar. When it comes to your dog’s safety, you must choose a collar that is made of soft material.
We suggest this because collars of soft fabrics or materials will not break your dog’s long hair. If the collar is made of hard and abrasive material, then this will break your dog’s coat around the neck area and may cause skin issues.
Even using a collar made of hard plastic material will cause scars around the neck. So, purchase a collar that is made of soft fabric.
It would be best if you chose a long-width collar. The standard collars’ width is small. The wider collars are comfortable for your dogs. It distributes the pressure evenly on your dog’s neck. Suppose the width of the collar is narrow; then it will create more pressure on your dog’s neck. As a result, there is a chance of breaking the fur around that area. But with a wider collar, your dog will avoid facing this problem.
Adjustable Collars are the best option for your long-haired pet. Always find a collar that has the opportunity to adjust. A collar that doesn’t have the chance of size adjustability will cause your dog many problems.
A tight collar can break down hair or cut your dog’s neck region, whereas a loose collar will cause choking hazards too. Some collars come with a velcro strap option to adjust the collar size. We highly recommend not buying those collars. Those will cause more irritation to your dogs.
Check the Padding:
The comfortability of a collar depends upon the padding thickness. A collar with thick padding will be gentle on your dog’s neck. Collars with less padding cause disturbance too. When you are looking for comfort, check the thick padding.
Now be careful here while choosing wide padding collars. Check the weight of the collars. Unnecessary weight will create discomfort for your dog and make them annoyed too.
Select a collar for your pal with an adjustable strap and a secure clasp. A safe clasp collar helps while walking with your dog in a crowded area. This clasp takes time, even if your dog runs out of curiosity.
Material Used for Dog Collars:
Dog collars are made of fabrics, metal chains, and plastic. Now every material has its good and bad side. You must first understand which one you are looking for your dogs.
Almost every dog owner widely used fabric collars. These collars come in different styles and colors, which allows you to choose the right one for your dog. Even these fabric collars are cheap compared to other metal chain collars.
Fabric collars do not last long. Over time it frays easily. If you have spontaneous dogs like German Shepherd or Doberman, fabric collars may not last long. However, fabric collars are preferred by most dog owners; some disadvantages also come with these collars.
Best Collars for Long Haired Dogs
These below-mentioned dog collars are the top-notch collection that will save your furry friend and thank your wallet too.
1. CollarDirect Rolled Leather Dog Collar
A dog collar that gives security is an essential accessory for your dog. But with so many options on the internet, you may need suggestions. As a pet parent, don’t you want a suitable collar for your dog? If you ask us, which is the best collar among all the dog collars, then Collar Direct Rolled Leather Dog Collar is one of the best collars for long-haired dogs on the market.
These handmade dog collars have been in high demand for the last few years. Its adjustable strap and durable material make this collar in the high-demand for long-haired dogs.
- The rolled leather design of this collar keeps your dog tangles and mat free. The rolled-edge design only creates less friction on your dog’s neck or even does not break your dog’s long hair.
- Made of 100% genuine leather, the CollarDirect Rolled Leather Dog Collar is the best choice if you are looking for a long-lasting product.
- This 13 inches long leather collar is suitable for all breeds of dogs. A dog with a 9 to 12 inches wide neck can quickly wear it without any tightness.
- The width of this collar is 0.5 inches. This distributes the pressure evenly, so your dog does not feel too much pressure on its neck region when you keep it on a leash.
- Collardirect is an old company that is working on specifically made pet products for almost a decade. So you do not have to worry about the product’s quality.
Cons: The only drawback of this collar is its price, as it is made of 100% genuine leather, which is why the price is higher than other dog collars.
2. BRONZEDOG Rolled Leather Dog Collar
Are you looking for a leather collar for your long-haired furry pal? But don’t you want to stick with that same conventional brown color? Then you must opt for BRONZEDOG Rolled Leather Dog Collar.
This is another great product on the market. The built quality, soothing color tone, and rolled design make BRONZEDOG Rolled leather dog collar an excellent product. We purchased this for our Golden Retriever.
- This collar comes in 8 different colors, which allows you to choose a specific color tone collar for your dog.
- Itis made of unique, genuine leather, making this collar super durable and for daily use.
- You will get a heavy-duty metal buckle to adjust the fittings.
- This collar is so long that a dog with a 17″ -19″ neck can quickly wear this.
- The collar comes in a round design, preventing hair break or damage.
- BRONZEDOG Rolled Leather Dog Collar is a lightweight product that will not stress your dog’s neck too much.
Cons: Some people have issues with color.
3. PetSpy P620 Dog Training Shock Collar for Dogs
Large dog breeds are challenging to handle. Pet owners with large breeds at home always want their furry pals to behave appropriately. When you walk with your dog on a leash in a crowded street, your dog may start barking at strangers. To keep them calm, you must command them all the time.
But why should you scream at your dog all the time? There is a solution to it—E Collars. A shock collar is a beneficial thing to every dog owner. Whether on a busy street or at home, these collars will help you to take charge of your pal’s behavior.
When it comes to shock collars, there is only one name that comes first in our mind: PetSpy. This is one of the best shock collars for long-haired dogs.
- With this e-collar, you can take control of your dog’s inappropriate behavior.
- You will get a remote control to use this collar, which is great for new dog parents.
- The remote is waterproof, which is excellent if you enjoy water activities.
- You can use this collar for dogs weighing 10 lbs to 140 lbs.
- This e-collar comes with a one-year replacement guarantee.
- You can use PetSpy P620 Dog Training Shock Collar from 650 yards.
- If you have any product issues, you can contact 24*7 customer service for help.
4. DAGANXI Tactical Dog Collar
Are you looking for a Dog collar that will last long? Then the DAGANXI Tactical Dog collar can be your first choice. These dog collars are made for aggressive dogs. It is used to control most military dogs.
If you want to train an aggressive dog for some purpose, then DAGANXI is the best training collar. One of the main reasons the harness is used for military dogs is due to its quick-release features.
- Made of 1000 D high-quality nylon, this collar is a long-lasting product.
- You can adjust the size of the collar easily. A D ring is attached to this collar, allowing you to attach the leash easily.
- DAGANXI Tactical Dog Collar is padded with soft material, making your dogs comfortable.
- This collar has a heavy metal lock that you can easily open to release your long-haired dog.
- The best feature of this collar is its handle. If you do not have a leash, you can hold your dog with this handle easily.
5. Auburn Leathercrafters Rolled Dog Collar
One of the most fashionable collars for dogs is Auburn Leathercrafters Rolled Dog Collar. This collar is in high demand for small dogs. Auburn is an American company that has been manufacturing for a long time. If you want a stylish yet soft collar for your double-coated dogs, then you can opt for this.
- Auburn collars come in 9 different colors, allowing you to choose the right one for your dog.
- This is made in the USA and elevates its premium quality.
- The auburn dollar is made of leather which ensures long durability.
- This fits a dog that even has an 18″ wide neck.
6. Black Rhino – The Ultra Soft Neoprene Padded Dog Collar
Small dogs need delicate things and accessories. So we have found an ultra-soft collar. This dog collar is made of soft neoprene padding, which makes it smooth yet long-lasting. Small dogs with long hair must tackle delicately, like Yorkshire Terriers, Shih Tzu, Lhasa Apso, Skye Terriers, Maltese, and Bolognese. Heavy metal chain collars may not be comfortable for your little puppy, so if you choose the Black Rhino dog collar, your puppy will be happy too.
- This dog collar is made of ultra-soft neoprene material with extra padding.
- You will get ten varieties of colors to choose from for your puppy.
- Not only for small puppies, but you can use this collar for all types of breeds.
- This collar comes with reflective stitches, which will help you to find your dog at night.
- You will get a D ring attached to this collar. So you can connect the leases easily.
Cons: Some users say the fabric could be more durable.
7. Coastal – Circle T – Oak Tanned Leather Round Dog Collar
One of the best collars for long-haired dogs on the market is the Coastal – Circle T Oak Tanned Leather Round Dog Collar. This round dog collar is made of high-quality material that can withstand daily usage. Its design makes it an excellent product for double-coated dogs.
People who often go hiking or are avid travelers should buy this hiking gear for their dogs. During hiking, you may have to keep your dog on a leash for safety purposes. The Coastal Circle T – Oak collar comes with a D ring. So you can easily attach a leash to it to ensure your dog’s safety.
- Made of top-grain leather, the Coastal Circle collar lasts for years.
- This collar comes in a rich color that looks great on every dog.
- Comes with multiple size options. So you can choose the right one for your dog.
- The round shape design does not irritate your dog.
- You will get a Metal D ring with this collar which you can use to attach a leash easily.
Eventually, choosing collars for long-haired dogs is not a fashion statement, but it keeps your dog safe and tangled-free. These collars not only prevent hair break, but with these collars, It is easier to control a dog.
However, you have to choose the best collar for your dog, which is why we have selected the above collars for you. These collars are top-rated and affordable, so if you plan to buy a collar for your thick-fur dog, choose any of them as per your need.
- 7 Best Remote Control Cars for Dogs to Chase
- Pros and Cons of Belly Bands For Dogs
- 13 Essential Camping Gear for Dogs
- 10 Most Affordable Dog Hiking Boots
1. Do dogs like collars?
A: Most dogs do not mind wearing collars. Collars made of soft fabrics are comfortable. But then, if the collar is too tight, it may irritate your dog. It is suggested to supervise your dog while they are wearing collars.
2. Should I take my dog’s collar off at home?
A: It depends upon your dog’s behavior. If you find your dog is not comfortable in collars, then when it is necessary, try to put the collar on; else, when it’s at home, remove it.
3. What type of collar is best for long-haired dogs?
A: Flat genuine leather collars are the best for your long-haired dogs. These collars do not cause any hair damage. This will not create any mat or tangle on your long-haired pal.
4. What material should dog collars be?
A: Depending on your dog’s size, breed, and aggression, you must choose collars for your dog. Now standard collars are made of nylon and polyester. However, if you do not worry about money, then we recommend you go with leather collars which are broader and more durable.
5. Can leather collars irritate dogs?
A: Yes, Sometimes leather collars cause skin issues like allergies and rashes too. But you have to notice that first, whether your dog is allergic to leather products or not!
6. Is it normal for dogs to lose hair around their collar?
A: Yes, it is normal for dogs to lose hair on their collar region. This happens because consistent contraction may break hair around that area. It is suggested to notice this. If you see something like breaking hair, try to remove it for a couple of days, replacing the collar with a softer one.