Dogs are a constant companion in life, our already mundane lives get more boring without them. Hammock camping with dog can be a great idea if you know how to do it. Any holiday or outing seems empty and forlorn without our pups. Some consider taking dogs camping, to be an unnecessary hassle, they do not wish to undertake.
But our little friends, deserve a break from the four walls of the house, too. If you are a dog lover and are hoping to relax on a camping ground, your pet is not going to be a hassle or a reason for you to cancel anymore! Instead, there are many advantages of traveling with your dog.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay any extra penny, but I’ll get a small commission that encourages me to deliver more helpful content for you.
Here are some tips for hammock camping with dog, necessary for a fun-filled camping experience!
Finding a Dog-Friendly Campground
Outdoor activities, essentially camping is a hassle, if the location site is not suitable. It is sometimes very difficult to find a spot, which allows dogs on site. However, many companies and campsite authorities have successfully managed to organize spots where you and your dog can relax easily and have fun on your day out. Many of these places can be pre-booked, to avoid any issues later on.
Make Sure Your Dog is Ready for Hammock Camping
It is one of the best ways to have fun with your dog friend, outdoors. However, there are certain points to be kept in mind, to ensure a safe fun trip. The dog must be trained very well and must be introduced to hammocking. One must make sure to keep the campsite secure and safe for your dogs, to avoid any accidents. Also, the dog must never be left unattended on the site; keeping these major tips in mind, one can make it the best experience of hammock camping with a dog.
Can Dogs Sleep in Hammock?
Most dogs indeed enjoy sleeping in the hammock with their owners, especially the smaller ones. The best way to ensure a safe hammock camping with your dog is to match the size of your hammock to your dog, to avoid ripping it while sleeping. Many owners also prefer sleeping in a different hammock than their dogs, to allow more space. While putting your dog in a hammock, be careful. On the brighter side, while hammock camping with a dog, it is safe for them to sleep in a hammock.
What to Pack while Hammock Camping with Your Dog
It is a great idea to do hammock camping with your dog, but there are certain absolute must-haves, which are important to keep in mind while deciding what to take camping with a dog.
- Water for hydration is very necessary.
- Carrying the right sleeping gear, as per your dog’s preferences.
- Biodegradable poop- bags, in case of emergencies.
- A first-aid kit that can adequately manage mishaps.
- Your dog’s snack bag can keep them avoid and allow you to relax on your outing.
Special Mention: Keep a dog carrier backpack handy if you have a plan for hiking and your dog is lazy. We have another great article on best and most affordable dog carrier backpacks.
Keep a Backup Hammock Ready
Just in case, hammock camping with your dog is not working out, while you are on the campsite, consider having a change of plan. If your dog is not willing to sleep in your hammock, make sure there is an extra hammock in hand. Also, sometimes, the hammock doesn’t work at the right moment; so having an extra one, helps in times of dire need. It is also very essential to tighten the hammock to prevent a fallout or a situation of dog injury which can turn fatal.
Keep Your Dog Safe and Comfortable
It is very necessary to keep your dog safe, while hammock camping with a dog. There are few things to keep in mind while planning to camp-
- Hanging the hammock lower to the ground, to make movement easy for your dog
- Carrying towels, to be kept under your dog while sleep on a hammock.
- In case, your dog is not comfortable with the arrangement, consider having a sleeping bag with you.
Read Next: 10 Popular Dog-Friendly Trails in San Diego
Essential Gear To Take While Hammock Camping with Dogs
Taking a sturdy model of Hammock doesn’t hurt! Make sure the product is big enough to accommodate your pet and yourself while hammock camping with your dog.
- Quilt is a necessity in the list of what to take camping with a dog. It keeps them comfortable in all temperatures.
- Leashes and Dog harnesses can also be of use on most campsites; sometimes it’s a rule to keep your dog on a 6-foot leash while wandering on public lands.
- It is necessary to carry a pet first-aid kit during emergencies while hammock camping with your dog.
- Rainfly and bug nets are also essentials while hammock camping with your dog. In case they are sleeping on the ground, these gears will provide them home-like comfort.
- Dog runners are also great equipment and can be used to keep your dog on a leash, making it safe for other people. While hammock camping with your dog, it is necessary to keep them under proper control and check.
- It may be a good idea to carry the dog bed along if the dog is refusing to sleep in the hammock. Rather than making them fussy, give them their comfort by letting them lie in their beds.
- Don’t forget to carry a dog umbrella. It will help you to protect your dog from any unexpected rain.
Are you planning a road trip with your dog but worried about how he/she will behave in the car? Check out this ultimate guide on how to calm your excited dog in the car?
Safety Tips While Hammock Camping With Dogs
- While hammock camping with your dog, never leave them out of sight. Outdoors make dogs very excited and hyperactive and if they are not kept under proper supervision, it can ruin your camping experience.
- Hammocks should never be tied around uneven surfaces, it increases risks which shouldn’t be a part of your camping experience. While hammock camping with your dogs can lead to fatal injuries so it is better to opt for a flat, smooth surface.
- To enjoy the experience of hammock camping with a dog, the hammock should be tied around strong trees to cancel the risk of fallouts. The tree should be able to take the weight of your dog.
- The hammocks have a chance of ripping if you do not trim the nails of your pet. Grooming dogs are very necessary before taking them on a camping experience.
Best Hammocks for Camping with Dogs
1. Aodoer Camping Hammock:
It is an excellent product for hammock camping with a dog, because of its durable 210T Nylon Parachute fabric which remains sturdy. This camping hammock is water and tear-resistant and one of the best affordable choices while hammock camping with your dog. The size has been made large enough to fit a small and large dog comfortably. This product setup is also easy with the inbuilt straps and durable tree straps. It is available at the rate of $19.99.
2. Kootek Camping Hammock:
This product comes with great help while exploring the dog-friendly trails in LA. It has an inbuilt storage facility which is an excellent place to store your important utilities while hammock camping with your dog. This lightweight backpack style is the best hammock for camping with a dog. It is made up of nylon fabric which is durable even during an adventurous ride. It is available in shades of black and grey with a price range of $22.99-$27.99. >>Buy on Amazon<<
3. Sunyear Single and Double Camping Hammock:
This product comes with an inbuilt durable net which provides two times more protection than others. While hammock camping with a dog, it can prove to be quite useful for ultra-light camping and easy setup techniques. While keeping your dog in hammock, you need not be worried about the texture, as the product is made with high-quality nylon fabric. Priced at $29.99-$39.99 it is an affordable hammock to go camping with your dog.
4. G4Free Large Camping Hammock:
It is made with high-quality nylon fabric to make hammock camping with your dog, a fun-filled experience. This product can be easily used as a net hammock and a regular hammock. The absence of ropes and knots in this item makes it quite easy to set up while camping. The feature of double to save you from the heat while camping with dog in California makes it a hit. It is available in various colors and is priced under $39.99. >>Buy on Amazon<<
5. Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Hammocks:
This product is very durable with its extra soft and high-quality nylon fabric material. It is quite convenient to carry while hammock camping with a dog, because of its lightweight nature. The feature of 5 separate loops to make it easy to set up, is an additional feature to make camping easy. It is available in various shades, as per your choice and the price range is $29.95-39.95.
Do s and Dont’s in Hammock Camping with Dog
- Hammocks should be placed a little lower while hammock camping with your dog. If the dog can hop in and out easily, the chances of them enjoying the outdoors are even more.
- It is necessary to carry lots of water while camping with dog in California. The heat and humidity might cause your dog to get irritated and in turn making your vacation mood sour. It’s better to keep them hydrated.
- Vaccinate before going for hammock camping with your dog.
- It is necessary to carry the correct camping gear before going on a camping adventure with your pup.
- Before planning to go hammock camping with a dog, introduce them previously to the activity. They might cozy up more for the adventure!
- Even though the camping adventure sounds great to you, having a backup plan in case of an emergency doesn’t hurt.
- While hammock camping with your dog, never leave him/her unattended.
- Trim the toes of your pup to avoid the ripping of hammocks at the last moment.
- Never load the hammock with heavy items because they might rip, with the added weight of the dog.
- Many dogs chew on the rope; it is wise to carry an extra pair while hammock camping with your dog.
These are the many that hammock camping with a dog can be made comfortable and easy. Following the abovesaid guidelines on what to take camping with a dog, a fun-filled outing can be ensured. Your dogs deserve a bit of an outdoorsy love, so never say no to go hammock camping with your dog.
Read Next Post: